American football betting features
Betting on American football, which has not been on the radar of bettors for a long time, is gaining popularity. Every year there are fewer players who confuse this sport with rugby. We will talk about betting on American football.
The discipline’s birthday is November 6, 1869. On this day, the teams of Rutgers University and Princeton played. The opponents did not agree in advance which game they would play.
The match was played without rules, and the game resembled a mixture of European football and rugby.In the past, American football was a violent sport.
Social discontent accelerated the adoption of rules that guaranteed the safety of players. Introduced wearable protection of the participants in the game.
Gradually, the dynamics of the competition acquired a more speed shade, rather than a power one.
Now the largest league in American football is the NFL (NFL), which was created in the 20s of the last century. There are 32 teams in the league, with 16 meetings each season, which runs from September to January.
The championship is crowned by the NFL Finals or Super Bowl.
The 2000s saw more betting on American football and the peak of the sport’s popularity. More than a third of Americans consider the NFL the main league in the country.
And even the NBA is three times less popular. For the year, the income from NFL games exceeds ten billion dollars. Professional league clubs are among the world’s most valuable brands.
Among the bettors who bet on this sport, the NCAA (student tournament), CFL (Canadian Football League) are also popular.
Main types of bets
Consider several types of bets available to bettors:
- outcome bets. As in European football, it is a popular market. A draw is possible, but rare: from 1974 to 2017, only 22 such outcomes were recorded;
- handicap bets. This popular type of bet is used by bettors at the end of the season when the fight for the playoffs unfolds. Due to the nature of the game, the value of a bet on a handicap does not change in a linear manner, which distinguishes American football from other sports. In the NFL, the outcome is often resolved by a late field goal. Next in frequency is an extra point touchdown, which gives the team a seven-point head start;
- bet on totals. The score is the number of team points at the end of the meeting, taking into account overtime. The average number of points for two is 43. But this number itself, due to the rules of American football, is rare, the common number of points is 41 and 44;
- betting on a quarter game, half game or overtime game. Indicators are counted only for a specific period;
betting on statistics. Sportsbooks offer bets on a player’s total rushing yards, total passing yards, first touchdown scorer, or player’s number of receptions;
- long term rates. Bettors bet on the team that will become the winner of the season, or on the winner of a separate conference. Another option is the team that wins the division. The NFL is a competitive league in which the underdog team in the new season rarely receives odds for winning above 10;
- special rates. Before the start of the season, bettors make bets on the first coach to leave the post, whether a field goal will be scored from a distance of 60 yards, etc.
- it is unprofitable to bet on this sport live due to the margin of bookmakers, but attentive players catch odds. Most online bets are made when the favorite loses to the underdog in the first half of the game.
Features of forecasting
Before betting on American football, you should study the statistics and take into account the factors that will help you avoid stupid money losses.
- do not rely solely on the betting line. Before evaluating quotes, it is useful for a bettor to independently form an opinion about the chances of each of the teams;
the outcome is also influenced by the weather, injuries in the team, game tone, away or home status of the match;
- You don’t have to bet on every match. It is more useful to select a couple of teams a week and bet on events that seem profitable;
- place bets in the line as early as possible to catch profitable quotes. Especially when a clear advantage is on the side of the favorite;
- past home and away games can be viewed on English-language NFL sites;
- Preliminary analytics are made easier if the bettor studies quarterback play and yardage statistics. American football is about confronting the lines of attack and defense of each team. The easiest way to analyze is to calculate how many yards each team in the match is gaining on offense and defense;
- the most important player is the quarterback, whose playing tone determines the results of the team;
- study players who are not “stars”, but are agile, hardy and fast. The team will win if such athletes are surrounded by high-level receiving players;
- avoid betting on teams where quarterbacks are not known for their speed of decisions and interceptions.
Consider the main betting strategies used by bettors-fans of the monitored discipline.
- according to the “milding” strategy, players place bets on the opposite outcomes of one meeting. Using the strategy insures against monetary losses. It is recommended to bet on odds, however, milding allows betting on totals. First they bet on one outcome, and after the lapse of time – on the opposite;
- betting based on statistics. The strategy is that the bettor independently makes a forecast for the event, based on the available statistical information;
- betting on totals. Based on the previous indicators, the bettor makes a bet on the number of points scored by the airborne teams.